Sunday, May 25, 2008

 

Ready for the Shows?

Time has fled past since I last wrote and I have now enjoyed four days at the Quilters Guild AGM and Conference in Cambridge. Although it was very hard work, being co-opted onto the local committee, it was very satisfying meeting so many quilters from all over the country and helping to make their weekend one to remember. There was, of course, the business of the AGM but the rest of the time was spent in trips, workshops, shopping and the Gala dinner.

I was very lucky to be able to help out with the two afternoon coach trips to Hemingford Grey and Ely Cathedral. The Manor, at Hemingford Grey, was the home of Lucy Boston, author of the children's Green Knowe books. Not only was she a children's author, she was an enthusiastic gardener and quilter. More can be learned about Lucy and her home (which is how inhabited by her daughter-in-law) on www.green/knowe.co.uk The Manor only takes group bookings for visits and although quite difficult to find, is the most magical place to see. Lucy's quilts are fantastic and it is very hard to believe that she only started quilting in later life and made two or three quilts a year right up to her death in her nineties. Something for us all to aspire to.

The second trip to Ely Cathedral was just as interesting. It was my first visit inside the building and it is truly magnificent. We were also able to see the exhibition of stained glass windows and many of us were inspired to buy postcards so that we could use the designs as inspiration for future quilts.

Since returning home, several quilt shows have taken place and I have been lucky enough to win some prizes. My miniature 'Flora' won first prize in the wall hangings category at Trentham Gardens. My waistcoat 'Out of the Shadows into the Light' won first prize in the Quilters' Guild/Makower Challenge and my larger quilt 'Flora Grande' won first prize in the Small wallhanging category and first in the Wholecloth category at Quilts UK, Malvern. All very exciting although sadly, I wasn't able to be at either show. I now have so much silver on my shelf that I have got to buy some more polish. 'All your own fault', I hear you say!

Looking to the future, the next big event is the Sew Creative exhibition at Wroxham Barns in Norfolk on 13th, 14th and 15th of June. I will be demonstrating my own patterns over the three days and hope that some of you will be able to come and say hello. Don't forget the bag I am auctioning which has already got a bid of £100. The pattern for the bag will be appearing in the next edition of 'Fabrications'. All proceeds from this as well as the sale of my patterns will go directly to the Norfolk and Norwich Breast Cancer Resource Fund. I do hope we can make a lot of money for this very worthwhile charity.

I will also be off to West Sussex soon to teach a hand quilting workshop at the Weald and Downland Museum (please see their website for details) and will also be giving a talk to the Aldwick Quilters. I am looking forward to these two days very much as well as being able to renew my aquaintance with that part of the world.

Once back from Sussex, it won't be long before we will be off to Birmingham for the Festival of Quilts. My goodness! this comes around so quickly. I will be doing some stints on the Traditional Quilt Group stand each day which will be part of the Quilters' Guild main stand (just opposite the main entrance) so once again, do come and say hello if you are going to be at the show. I am very happy to be starting an on-line, hand quilting block of the month for the Traditional Group in September so, if you would like to join in and are already a member of the Quilters' Guild www.thequiltersguild.co.uk all you need to do is to join the Traditional Group by contacting sarah.shelley@tiscali.co.uk for just an additional charge of £10 per year and then email me on jacquiequilts@tiscali.co.uk to be put on the list ready for the action to start in September.

Even with all this activity going on, I am still quilting daily and currently finishing off a miniature quilt for the Festival of Quilts which will go with 'Flora Grande' and the Lady's Jacket which has been featured recently in 'Patchwork and Quilting' magazine.

I would finally like to say a big thankyou to all of those kind people who have taken the trouble to contact me since the 'Meet a Quilter' article in P & Q magazine this month. It has been very encouraging to receive your lovely comments about my work. I have replied to all the emails received but due to a slight blip in changing over to a new lap top, please forgive me if I haven't. I think this will mean that your email or mine might have got lost in the ether.

Looking forward to meeting up with you at the various events during the summer months.

My website www.jacquieharvey.co.uk is due to be updated soon with some new photos.

Until then, happy quilting,

Jacquie

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?